Chase the Sun
Nine Short Stories of Passion, Betrayal, and Revenge
December 2015 | Published by Chartwell Press
I just finished Chase the Sun. Each story is like a jewel. The craft and sensitivity and power behind each one is just amazing. I am utterly lost in admiration of Christine's control of language.
– Alyssa Kress, author of Marriage by Mistake
In this short fiction anthology, nine gripping stories will surprise you, entertain you, and captivate you.
- A clever artist outwits cruel teenagers with his pen and drawing pad.
- Trapped in a loveless marriage, a wealthy Englishman must decide how to satisfy his pent-up passions without destroying his career and reputation.
- When a flight attendant agrees to escort a young boy to Miami, she learns secrets that force her to choose whom she will betray: the innocent boy or his menacing father.
- A high-stakes mission takes a psychiatrist to a top-secret, memory-alteration center in Germany, and into a dangerous game of cat-and-mouse with a murderer.
- A maintenance man’s summer affair with a rich beauty forces him to make a fateful decision about their future together.
- At a quirky, high-end restaurant in the south of France, a worldly gourmand impresses gorgeous women—along with the chef and waiters. But the gourmand isn’t quite what he appears to be, and everything changes when one of the waiters learns the truth.
- An elderly Polish woman confines herself to a Jewish nursing home as a way of coming to terms with her actions in Nazi-occupied Lodz decades earlier.
- When 13-year-old Missy complains that her grandmother is driving her crazy, her mother tells her to “deal with it.” She does, and in the process, she learns about life and what it means to grow up.
- Korey is terrified to leave the cruise ship to go ashore with his wife in Ensenada—and for good reason, considering what happened when he was there last time.
These tales will take you to around the world to France, Germany, Canada and Mexico. They’ll transport you to Edwardian London of 1906, and to Boston and Freiburg of 2054. You’ll peer into the hearts and minds of people from all walks of life: a Las Vegas bartender, a young Catholic nurse, a Russian aristocrat, and an envious French waiter. If you enjoy short stories that are rich in atmosphere and psychological depth, this anthology will delight you.